Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Sitka Bay or Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay

I now have all the parts for my Sitka Bay quilt.  I tried 4 different layouts and my DH and I liked this version best.  We did an Alaskan cruise in 2008 for our 20th anniversary.  When we stopped in Sitka we did a whale watching excursion so that is why my vresion is named Sitka Bay.  It was rainy and cold that day, but it was the BEST time.  We were out about 45 minutes and then suddenly we were surrounded by whales.  The boat captain turned off the boat so we would not hit any whales.  We watched them jump out of the water for about 30 minutes before they left.  Did you know that whale tails are all different?  They are like our fingerprints.  We also got to see sea otters.  The momma's and their babies were in one area and the dad's off on their own in another.  The momma's would lay on their back and the babies would lay on momma's chest.  It was just so precious.

Thank you Bonnie Hunter for a wonderful mystery.  I will post another picture once this is quilted and bound.  If you want to see Bonnie's Orca Bay mystery go to her site here.



Sandy in TN

6 comments:

  1. Nice job on your OB quilt! I finished my OB top a couple of weeks ago. It feels great to be finally finished, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good! I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is just beautiful! I think the layout is just opposite of what I had planned but looks really good. I'm still arranging mine and I think I'll probably try your way as well. Please let us know how you plan to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I think you made the right decision on the quilt layout...it's absolutely stunning!!! Loved your stories about the whales...that's an excursion I would love to take but probably only in my dreams. :) Love your blog. Have a beautiful day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful remembrance of that trip this quilt will be! I really like that alternates setting so much. It's going to be gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow,,,,,,thats one of the most beautiful quilts i ever seen,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete